Shaker + Pop-up Card
Hello, hello! Welcome back to my blog! This time around, I will be sharing with you a card that is inspired by Anna’s card on Mama Elephant’s blog using the Oh Happy Birds set. I have always admired her style which incorporates precious little critters, bright colours and genius architecture all in a card. Be ready to be wowed by yet another one of her signatures!
[Supplies are linked at the bottom of the post.]
With a friend’s birthday coming up in less than a month, I figured this would be the perfect occasion for a sweet card and by sweet, I meant CUPCAKE sweet. I first stamped the cupcakes from Carnival Cupcakes set in Versafine Onyx Black ink on Neenah Classic Crest Solar White. After some colouring with Copic markers, I fussy cut them and line the edge with a black marker.
To ground the cupcakes, I used the Cloud Border die from the Landscape Trio set. I then popped the cupcakes up on the clouds using double-sided foam tapes for added dimension, which were then adhered to a blue textured card stock. I also hand-written the words “My Sweet Friend” on a wood veneer banner by Studio Calico, which was adhered to the top of multiple strips of white card stock. I coloured the banner and the paper strips with a Copic marker in E33. I find the step-by-step tutorial by Anna very helpful in creating this pop-up element.
For the card front, I blended some pastel-coloured distress inks on a piece of watercolour paper, which was a technique new to me. The inks used were Shaded Lilac and Spun Sugar. I was not happy with my first attempt on Neenah Classic Crest Solar White due to the hard lines left by the edge of my foams, which could be a heavy-hand issue. I have not had that problem with darker colours as the lines would easily go unnoticed with a couple more layers of ink.
Once I was satisfied with the blending, I die-cut a frame out of the paper using the largest die from Pierced Rectangle Frame Die-namics. To match the design on the inside of the card, I again die-cut some clouds using the same die from before. The frame was then adhered to the card base using two layers of craft foam and some double-sided adhesive. I also applied some baking flour to the sides of the foams to deactivate the adhesive so the sequins would be able to move freely. (Yes, baking flour, you read that right!) The sentiments were from Happy Everything. Here’s a short clip showing the card in action.
[Click HERE for the video in HD on YouTube.]
This was not an easy card, but I was fairly happy with the outcome. On another note, I have been putting off getting a powder tool but I ought to have it ready for my next shaker card!
Thank you for stopping by and see you soon!
This card is in the following challenges:
[Affiliate links used.]